Saturday, April 2, 2011

the evil soy

I've got a newsletter from Dr.Mercola in which he promotes his article on the dangers of soy formula. I was avoiding soy even before I heard about paleo, being convinced it's one of the worst plants to eat, especially in its processed form.

In this article he brings new research that links being fed soy formula in infancy to fibroid tumors in adulthood. I knew soy is really bad for hormonal balance, but I had no idea it's that bad. According to various studies babies had 13,000- 22.000 times more estrogen than when fed milk formula or breastfed. This numbers are terrifying!
It is good that some countries (like Israel) are getting in the way of big corporations to protect the little ones by banning soy-based formula.

It's really sad especially for young, health oriented, women, who have no idea why they have issues with fertility or menstruation. They are trying to it "healthy" replacing meat with soy "food", drinking soy milk instead of cow milk, and feed on highly processed "low fat" products made of petroleum-quality franken-soy products. I have a friend who, because of various serious health issues, got on vegan, low-fat diet. I was pained with her through her lack of luck to become pregnant. Both she and her husband were on vegetarian diets. I know there is no proof, but I do think that their diet was an important factor in the problems. I happy that they were able to adopt and enjoy parenthood. But I can't help but wonder if the big amounts of soy, grains and lack of fat were the culprit.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, I appreciate your concern, but it's not needed. I thought I had fertility issues because when I ate meat and dairy, I had an ovarian cyst and one of my fallopian tubes had to be removed. When I was retested by my doctor for any signs of infertility, I was told that everything tested fine and I can get pregnant. It turned out that my husband is the one who is infertile when his sperm was tested. Every doctor we've talked to (after lots of testing) has said he was born this way. I'd like to point out that he was raised as a meat eater, so a vegan diet is not the culprit for his infertility. I'd also like to point out that if you look at my menu plans, we do not eat soy products. We don't like them, and only eat them on rare occasions. Just thought I'd clear that up so there's no need to wonder.

    I'm not surprised that you wrote this, but I do wish you'd research a little more.

    ReplyDelete