Friday, September 24, 2010

Got my lab results finally

I did the lab two months ago, but only yesterday received a copy. Yep, it took them that long.

Anyway, I was very nervous to find out any changes in my blood work after switching to new way of eating. I started to change it around January (I think), but for the first three months or so it was back and forth between different ideas, eating generally low-carb, but with a lot of processed foods. I knew it was the right way to eat after reading Gary Taubes "Good Calories Bad Calories" book, but it took me a while to figure out where I wanted to be. Slowly I was cooking more, I stopped trying to create low-carb versions of old foods, wanted to eat more and more "real" foods. I started to read about Paleo/primal/evolutionary lifestyle and the more I read the more sense it made. I have been interested in pre-historical times, I loved learning about anthropology and evolution - so this approach is just perfect for me.
I can't remember exactly, but I think I made the switch to paleo around April? Around that time. I stopped eating processed foods whatsoever, and I was cooking by myself. Now I am still dairy eating paleo. I cut off gluten only after the tests. I kept on eating gluten (low-carb versions) b/c I wanted to have some in my body to make celiac testing. But after it took them so long to get my lab back, I decided to just go gluten-free no matter the results.

So, the results are after about a half a year of low-carb and three months of real food, paleo eating. I was comparing them to my results from roughly two years before that.
The good:
- Potassium, Calcium, Chloride and Sodium are all in the correct ranges, went up from under-ranges (esp. Potassium & Calcium) since last time.
- my lipid panel: even though my total cholesterol went up slightly (it's 210 now, which is considered "high"), my HDL levels went up even more and are now 78, when anything above 59 is considered beneficial and negative risk factor for CHD. My triglycerides are in healthy range as well.
- my vit. D is much higher, I had deficiency before. I am not scared of sun anymore!

The bad:
- It looks like I still have anemia. I've had anemia all my life, so I am used to it. Even though with eating all that meat you would think I should have enough iron.

I will still wait for my doctor to actually contact me and tell me her opinion about the labs, but I know for sure I am not changing the way I eat! I feel great, my lab results I think are pretty good as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment