Thursday, October 7, 2010

Fasting and paleo

When I was on my old way of eating (high-carb), I had extremely difficult time with any kind of fasting. When I tried to fast a whole day (for religious reasons, like Yom Kippur), it was a nightmare. Very soon after waking up I would already start to feel bad. A few hours later I would have no energy, had problems with moving my legs fast, my head would feel as if made of lead with pounding pain. Toward the end of the day I would be lightheaded, dizzy and sometimes close to fainting. I thought it was just my nature...

On Monday we had "Back to School Night" about which I completely forgot. It meant that instead of going home before 5pm I made it at 9pm. With no extra food, on some eggs, coffee with cream and protein shake. Hardly any hunger, no headache, energy and full mental attention.
I used to say how I simply couldn't not eat a breakfast. I would be sick and nauseated with this deep, painful need to eat at that right moment. Nothing like that anymore - when I am hungry, it's a normal signal, no attack from inside. It's fascinating to me how all of that has changed.

Yesterday I did my "refeed" dinner. And I had too much. I see on other blogs how people make these humongous meals, sometimes calling them variations of "refeeds". How do they do it? I tried three beef sausages, three eggs with two extra yolks and a bit of veggies (broccoli, green beans, mushrooms). I felt full one third in. I wasn't sure if I should just stop or try and force to eat more. I decided to try and it more, because I don't want my body to think I am starving it, so it would go into starvation mode or something.

Each day this week I came back late from work, so no workout yet. And tomorrow I will be even later... Friday it will be, then. And maybe Saturday as well. I have to do a good strength workout and practice more on pull up bar. I am beginning to being able to do pull up! I have big problems with that... I try with support, and it gets better. chin ups get better as well, now I can do 3-4, and same with parallel chin ups.

2 comments:

  1. For me I found out that satiety has totally changed. From feeling just "stuffed" it has now changed towards a feeling of warmth and satisfaction. And it is quite imposssible to keep on eating, once I've reached that state.

    In my carby past I could fill my plate two times and empty it - now that's impossible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's so true! When you try to overeat on protein and fat, you are going to be sick.
    I could eat a mountain of carbs without a problem.

    ReplyDelete