Saturday, October 9, 2010

Fibromyalgia and Paleo

I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia about two and a half years ago. Looking back I've had it for at least ten years. So what is it?

From the National Fibromyalgia Association website:

Fibromyalgia (pronounced fy-bro-my-AL-ja) is a common and complex chronic pain disorder that affects people physically, mentally and socially. Fibromyalgia is a syndrome rather than a disease. Unlike a disease, which is a medical condition with a specific cause or causes and recognizable signs and symptoms, a syndrome is a collection of signs, symptoms, and medical problems that tend to occur together but are not related to a specific, identifiable cause.

Fibromyalgia, which has also been referred to as fibromyalgia syndrome, fibromyositis and fibrositis, is characterized by chronic widespread pain, multiple tender points, abnormal pain processing, sleep disturbances, fatigue and often psychological distress. For those with severe symptoms, fibromyalgia can be extremely debilitating and interfere with basic daily activities.

The most common way to diagnose someone with FB is check for tender points. There are up to 18 of them. You need to have at least 11 to be diagnosed. I have 16 I think.



That's very general. I want to focus on what FB looked like in my case. And I must admit, I have a very moderate level of symptoms, nothing like some other persons.

PAIN
All over. Everywhere, but you can't pin point it. Spreads through legs, belly, arms. Sometimes sits in one limb only, sometimes hits everything at once. You try changing positions, lift the legs, not move, move... nothing helps. You can just try to sit as comfortable as possible and wait till the worst is over. Then there is this "I have a flu with no fever" feeling. As if you were bruised on every inch of your body, every touch hurts. Putting on underwear hurts. Using bathroom hurts. Touching hair hurts, because your skin hurts. That usually holds for three days. Then there are joint pains. Sometimes random, sometimes as an outcome of long walk, standing for too long, wrong shoes, too hard surfaces or I don't eve know what.
When I finally started to do some workout over the summer (I am a teacher, so I had more time then), my knees would scream, not only during the workout but even in between. After a few days they were hurting all the time. My doctor told me that it is what it is, gotta get used to it.

FATIGUE
Not just tired... but the absolute physical and mental exhaustion. Too tired to prepare a meal, to clean the house, to make the bed. Too tired to visit friends or invited anyone over. Too tired to do shopping, check out a nice place or keep up with a hobby. Too tired to even begin about working out. Too tired to finish up some documents from work or even answer emails to friends.
I used to come back from work, and was sitting from around 5pm to 10pm in front of my laptop, not being able to do anything. I ate whatever I could find when I was so hungry it overcome the fatigue. I was so tired it was difficult to get up and get prepared for bed. Too tired to understand what I was reading on the internet, so I usually was surfing through home decor blogs - pictures only, easy. I was too tired to focus on a book or even watch a movie. I was vegetating.

SLEEP
I could sleep for ten hours and wake up tired. I wake up multiple times during the night for a split second. My body cannot fall deep enough to get into the most important, restorative phase of the sleep. Sometimes I fall asleep without any problems, sometimes I have a hard time with that. On free days I may also take a nap during a day. I aim for 7.5-8h during a weekday, 9h on weekends. If I sleep less than 6h I feel sick, have bad headache and simply remind a zombie.

OTHER
I did have problems with my bowels, and I am getting bad headaches, with occasional really severe ones. I have had problems with concentration, clear thinking and memory. I still struggle with depression and really bad anxiety.


TREATMENT
My rheumatologist has tried various meds and supplements. Nothing worked. No CoQ10, no lyrica, no other. He suggested stretching, exercising (promising that it was supposed to get better after a while of bad pain), and "healthy diet". To be honest, the only advice he gave me that worked, was getting a body pillow!

So why am I writing most of the symptoms in past tense? Well, because they are things of the past for me. Enter Paleo.

I've been eating low-carb since about January, almost-paleo since March-April. Completely gluten-free since July. Even without cutting all gluten the majority of FM symptoms either lessen or disappeared.

PAIN
I have very rarely the "random" muscle or joint pain. I do still have aches, especially after running long errands and/or having to stand for a longer time. The recovery still takes a while.
I am working out, strength, sprints etc., with no joint pain whatsoever! I do lunges, squats and my knees sing the songs of praise.
I still wake up stiff in the morning sometimes, but it takes less time to get moving.

FATIGUE
Gone. Can you believe it? I am a new woman! I come back from work and I have still energy and will to do stuff. I do workout or cook dinner and/or lunches for work, I clean around the house and whatever else I feel like doing. I am able to read and understand what I am reading even after 6pm. I have my life back. It's unbelievable. I think this part of the recover is the most beneficial. I do cook more on Paleo - but now I have time to do it!

SLEEP
Still working to get it better.

OTHER
Can't remember when was the last time I had any GI issues. My focus, ability to concentrate on a task and general mental ability improved dramatically. Anxiety and depression got better, but they need more time for full recovery. I take medicine for both of them.

All of it only thanks to cutting grain, sugar, processed foods, vegetable oils and other crap of that kind. I eat a lot of animal protein of many varieties, fish, good fats like coconut oil and butter, a little bit of cream or cheese, some green veggies and occasional fruit or chocolate. That's it. That's all the medicine I needed!

This post is part of "Paleo Rodeo" @ Modern Paleo!

5 comments:

  1. Wonderful outcome for you! It is amazing that doctors have not yet caught on to the paleo diet as a method to treat so many inflammation disorders.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe they slowly will? My rheumatologist asked me twice if I was sure it was thanks to my diet that I felt so good! First time I told him about the changes he asked me if I wanted to put on weight... *sigh* maybe this time he will get professionally interested?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there,
    Wonderful! I am all for natural healing over meds. I too have fibro, and am currently on several meds. I started Paleo two weeks ago. I think I feel a bit better, but not that much.
    May I ask when you started to see improvements?

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dear brothers and sisters, I am about to tell you how God through the help of an herbal doctor saved the life of my only brother. Fredrick Machel is my name I live in Boston, USA. My brother's name is John Machel. My only brother four years ago fell ill, and at first was diagnosed of high fever which resulted into him having critical health issues. Two years ago, he was diagnosed of FIBROMYALGIA he was having chronic muscle pain, fatigue, sleep problems, and painful tender points or trigger points, we tried so many medications but none worked for him. I search the internet for possible cure but none was found until i came across a note of testimony made by a man named James Watt on the internet where he claimed that a herbal doctor by name Doctor Uwadia Amenifo cured his cousin of a chronic disease that is worst than FIBROMYALGIA. So I tried to reach the testifier James Watt to ask if there could be any hope from this herbal man towards assisting my brother to finding cure to his ailment. So he emailed me after two days and gave me the contact details of the said doctor. So I emailed the doctor and explained to him what my only brother is going through. And he said no problem that my brother will be healthy again. At first I doubted him because he said it so easily, and at this stage I was so curious and I asked him what he meant by my brother will be healthy again. So then he told me that he have some powerful herbs that can cure FIBROMYALGIA. To cut the long story short, I akin to his advise and counseling. So he told me all I would do, and after all arrangement was made, he started sending herbs to my brother. Behold just two weeks after my brother started using his herbs he began to improve, and as I speak to you today my brother is healthy and free from FIBROMYALGIA. So when I see that my brother have regained back his health I contacted Doctor Uwadia to tell him of the good news. And he asks me to help tell people across the world how powerful his herbs can be. And that is exactly what I am doing now. Brothers and sisters i want you all to help me say a big thanks to God and also to Doctor Uwadia Amenifo. He is really a wonderful herbal doctor. So in case you wish to treat yourself or your close one of diseases please i strongly recommend Doctor Uwadia Amenifo to you all. You can either reach him on his email (doctoruwadiaamenifo@gmail.com), or you call him on his cell (+2349052015874). God bless you all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi all i want to tell how i was cured of my long suffered Fibromyalgia i am Isabell Jack by name, i live in USA. Some years ago i was having Cognitive and memory problems, Trouble sleeping, Morning stiffness, Headaches. Irritable bowel syndrome, Painful menstrual periods, Numbness or tingling of hands and feet Restless legs syndrome. So i was diagnosed of Fibromyalgia which my doctor here in USA said cannot be cured. So i suffered from it for some time, and each day i was praying for God to change my situation because my health was becoming dilapidated by the day. i tried so many kind of medication, but no one came to light. i surf the internet several times and did not see any one who gave me a better alternative to what my doctor said. So i came across some testimonies of some people claiming they were cured of a disease by a Herbal doctor whose name was given as Doctor isimhenmhen Anthony with his herbs. So i begin to wonder and think because sometimes ago my doctor once told me that there is power in herbal medicine. So i looked for a way to contact this said herbal doctor so as to see if he can palliate the pains i was going through. i explained to him, and behold he gave me some good hope which was that he have the herbs that cures it very fast. so i begin to wonder if he can really help. But i hold onto my God and i decided to him this herbal doctor Isimhenmhen Anthony a try. So he counseled me and after which we made necessary arrangement and he sent the herbs he called the magical herbs of Fibromyalgia. i followed his instructions on how to take it, and behold in just one week after i started taking his herbs, i was getting great relief, and some of the symptoms were really going out. i continued for the nest week, and my brethren guess what? it was really like a magic the herbs cured me in just two weeks, but i did not fully recover that quick but i was cured. So gradually i begin to recover and as i speak to you i am Fibromyalgia free. i no longer suffer from Fibromyalgia or feel those nasty symptoms i use to have before. Now i can walk very well, go about my day to day business and in fact i am now in a prefect state of health. so please i want to use this medium to plead with all here still suffering from Fibromyalgia please and please don't waste time contact Doctor Isimhenmhen Anthony now for your herbal cure. His email is (doctorisimhenmhenanthony@gmail.com) and his phone number is (+2348166739726).

    ReplyDelete