Tuesday, September 28, 2010

"healthy" knish

In the faculty lounge during lunch we often comment on each other's choices of food, exchanging ideas and sharing struggles (a few people try to lose weight). Today the hero of the hour (well, 20min) was home made knish. It looked very good, had no crust and according to the maker was also delicious. The person got the recipe from cardiologist which in the opinion of all present gave it a stamp of approval. Everyone assumed it must be healthy... I said nothing when I started to hear the ingredients... Apart from spinach and spices I wouldn't touch anything else in it. Egg beaters? Tofu? fat free mozzarella? Sad. I didn't say anything because I knew it was pointless. Between weight watcher, newborn conventional (fat is evil) healthy eater, cancer survivor on low-fat "healthy" diet and a couple others SADers* there was no point. It would only upset everyone, especially that most of them really think they know best. Obviously I also think I know best :) The only reason I feel better is that I have been researching nutrition and evolutionary science for quite a while now and don't take my health advice from color magazines.

I have decided to give PSMF** a try. Even though I didn't get into paleo in order to lose weight, I do want to shed the waist and legs/buttocks fat that I put on about a year ago. I switched then to a new anti-anxiety medicine and it caused enormous carbs cravings, no control in eating sweets and cakes, and made me 30Ibs heavier a month and a half later. I would like to get back to my wardrobe from the days before that.

I let myself eat too much of healthy and  paleo foods. I forgot that paleo means also eating according to the body's needs. Which means I should eat when I am hungry and enough to be satiated, not because I feel like it would be fun to eat a bowl of sour cream with coconut and banana. I think it is clear what I am talking about ;-)
So for a few days I am trying to keep on the low carbs but also cut on fat, with the minimum protein that is needed per day. This way the body is not starved, receives enough necessary nutrients but also is prompted to kick in serious fat burning. I will let you know how it goes - it's only day two.

*SAD - Standard American Diet.
**PSMF - Protein Sparing Modified Fast

No comments:

Post a Comment